Sunday, June 3, 2012

Smoking Stupidity: Springfield Blows It Again

Springfield is only one of many cities that is struggling with public smoking.  We banned smoking in all restaurants, and have mostly regretted it ever since.  Business did in fact suffer, and people were angry.

I understand both sides, as I should.  I smoked for 15 years before quitting.  I am not one of those annoying reformed smokers who nags and "helps" those around.  I give smokers plenty of space, and if someone mentions they are trying to quit then I am happy to share what worked for me.  I recently celebrated my five-year anniversary of the day I quit, and of course I love it.  I paid dearly for my peace and freedom from the worst addiction I've ever known.

Smoking is dangerous.  It's pointless, poisons the people around, stains clothes and buildings, and offers no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  There is nothing nice to say about the habit, the fires, the people whose kids go without because prices soar and the addiction comes first.

But it's legal.  And that has to mean something.

I have a major problem with attacking legal activities and taxing the hell out of them.  I will say I'm not convinced smoking should be legal, but while it is it deserves the same freedoms as other activities.  Otherwise we end up with a subjective list of what is approved and what is not, and if you're not on the approved list then you are subject to attack because you "deserve" it in the eyes of a few.

From a business perspective, I still believe it should come down to choice.  If I paid as much in taxes as the downtown businesses, I'd damn well want control over any legal activities taking place within.  I can absolutely defend forcing businesses to clearly label whether they are a smoking establishment to honor those who want to exercise their right to go elsewhere.  If there really is such a non-smoking following, then those who choose that will reap the benefits.  To tell adults how they can behave in public, when the action being debated is within the boundaries of the law, is wrong.

I'm not saying smoking doesn't need to be addressed.  The parenting mentality of local government has to be reigned in.  Then we can find a logical solution that is ethically and logically sound.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails