Saturday, May 19, 2012

Will Smith Gettin' Slappy With It

Will Smith slapped a reporter who kissed him.  I am normally a big fan of his, and this is the first time I've been disappointed with him.  That means that I will eventually forgive him because every single person on the planet can lapse in judgment when surprised.  However, I think an apology is due. The man violated his personal space, but that wasn't the problem and you can tell that.  It was the kiss.  The slap was demeaning and full of contempt.  This wasn't a slug to protect himself, it was a bitchy and shallow act that is beneath someone who I believe is a good guy for the most part. He compounds his error by saying he was lucky he didn't sucker punch him as a joke.  Well, uh, you kind of did.  Jerk.

It is not uncommon for Russian men to kiss in greeting.  While that is being pounced on and exaggerated right now, it truly isn't uncommon.

Am I overreacting?  I don't think I am, but reactions have been mixed.  Watch here and tell me what you think.


People has a poll where the majority of people voted that the reporter out of line.  The article above says the man asked and was granted permission to hug Will Smith.  He had permission to enter his personal space, and while the kiss was over the top it is only by our butch alpha-male Western standards that it becomes truly "offensive"... but take one look at Sacha Baron Cohen's humor and tell me there's no double standard.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails