Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Believe I Am Detecting A Policy Trend Here

Mitt Romney's solution to public education?  Add profit motive at the expense of the taxpayer.  Actually, that's Mitt Romney's solution to everything, now that I think about it.

Mitt Romney proposed a series of steps to overhaul the public education system, reigniting the debate over school choice as his campaign intensifies its effort to introduce the presumptive Republican presidential nominee to a general-election audience.

The education plan, detailed in a speech today in Washington, would create a voucher-like system to give low- income and disabled students federal funds to attend charter schools, private institutions and public schools outside their district.

“I don’t like the direction of American education, and as president, I will do everything in my power to get education on track for the kids of this great land,” Romney told a gathering of Latino business owners at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. 

Hey, if vouchers are good enough for Grandma's health care, they're good enough for Junior's edumacation.  Best part:

“President Obama has made his choice, and I have made mine: As president, I will be a champion of real education reform in America, and I won’t let any special interest get in the way,” he said. “We have to stop putting campaign cash ahead of our kids.” 

You know, like the campaign cash from charter school lobbyists eager to take tens of billions in taxpayer dollars and wring out profits rather than graduates.

Even better part:

Romney’s plan wouldn’t increase the federal budget, said domestic policy adviser Oren Cass. 

Just like the Bush tax cuts, am I right?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails