Saturday, March 31, 2012

Follow Up: Mindful Eating

A while back, I posted about mindful eating, which is just what it sounds like.  Putting everything else aside and focusing on what you are eating.  The results were interesting.

First, how do I normally eat?  Zandar has seen me in both eating modes, picking at food and going through a buffet like a wood chipper.  My eating habits vary, but one thing that remained the same is that I am always busy and eating became my time to plan the next several moves in [insert project].  Even when I sat down and didn't work (rare) I was still not mentally present for my meal.  Most of the time, I'm the worst about cramming down a sandwich while writing, and when it's gone I'm not satisfied so I reach for something unhealthy to finish the job.

For the last four weeks exactly, I have done something new.  Now, I didn't go so far as to meditate on every bite, but I stopped what I was doing and paid attention to the taste, texture, and difference in each bite.  I chewed carefully and didn't let myself rush, I set 30 minutes aside to eat and I could not do anything if I finished early, so there was no temptation.  Because I'm not the type to meditate, I instead thought about myself in general.  How did I feel today?  How did I sleep? Was my blood sugar spike related to stress?  Instead of putting off problems, I would solve them instead.

A month later I've lost eleven pounds, and I feel great.  I sleep better, and through no awesomeness on my own, I am now inclined to eat better foods.  I look forward to my daily meals as a much-needed break.  My blood sugar is much more stable and I have noticed the two o'clock slumps pass me by more often than not.  My blood pressure is textbook perfect (it wasn't bad but about 15 points higher than the doctor liked).  Though I work 60 minutes less per day, I accomplish more than ever.

Some of this is surely eating better.  I have always had a temperamental digestive system, so simply eating better food had an effect.  I also attribute a lot of it to the mindful aspect.  When most people hear the phrase "thinking about myself" there is an instant repulsion.  It's selfish and vain to sit and think about yourself, right?  No.  First, I didn't think about things I wanted, necessarily.  I took that time to communicate with my body, and it told me a lot.  By listening, I feel better than I have in years.

If anyone else gives it a try, please let me know how (or if) it worked for you.  I think the lack of interruption and reboot helped as much as the food, but your ideas are welcome.  It took two weeks or so before I felt a real change, but once I started to feel better it came by leaps and bounds.  I hope it works for those who give it a try!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails