Saturday, February 11, 2012

Celebrity Divorce Really Is Shocking

I have a soft spot for Katy Perry, I admit it.  I wish she'd sing stuff a little more... substantial, but once in a while you just like a celebrity, and she's on my list.  I didn't expect her marriage to Russell Brand to last forever, but a silly part of me hoped they might just because they looked so darn in love.  Once in a while, marriage really does last forever, so why not them?  However, the announcement was not shocking in itself.

The shocking part is how it was handled.  Two known free spirits fall in love, marry in a whirlwind, and are fair and reasonable when dissolving the union.  I don't know that I have ever heard of such amicable and noble behavior, especially from celebrities, and even more especially from the generation of celebrity that is privileged, proud and generally spoiled.

There was no prenup, unheard of for two young people who may be at the beginning of huge careers.  Katy Perry brought in $44 million during the time of their marriage.  Brand not only passed on his chance to take his half, but was appalled at the idea of taking money he didn't earn.  They've both been good to each other in the media, and were too smart to fall into the normal paparazzi traps.  They both speak of mutual respect and go no further.

I'd respect any couple who could end a marriage on such good terms.  There are so many emotions in divorce, even ones that begin on a reasonable note.  These two had money worth squabbling over, intense public scrutiny and whatever led to the split to contend with.  Yet they showed some real character and I have a whole new respect for both of them (Russell, I loved Arthur, I don't know what the hell those people are talking about).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails