Friday, December 9, 2011

John Shore Puts A Fine Point On Christianity VS Gays

Before I post this, I want to say a few things.  I have never believed that religion is a reason to discriminate against others.  We are free to choose our religions, therefore it makes sense we can choose a religion that matches our own moral standing, and each one is as valid as the next.  In a country that proudly offers its citizens choice, and after reading religious doctrine that validates the gift of free will, what other conclusion could there be?  Some religious people aren't happy to control their own lives, they feel the need to extend their beliefs on those who do not live the way they feel is proper.  Whether that is in regards to tithing, prayer habits or our sexual lifestyle, it's wrong.  Period.

I have challenged homophobes to describe the logic as to why they feel the need and that they have the right to dictate to others how they should live.  "I don't like it" isn't a fair reason, but that is what it comes back to.  "It's offensive to God" is the only other reply.  Well, God's a big guy and He can take care of Himself.  I highly doubt a bunch of hypocrites are doing any favors to the cause.

The truth is, there isn't a logical reason to discriminate.  There is no right that is right enough to force changes on consenting adults who can make their own choices.  There is no reason law should dictate personal behavior if it isn't a crime or a threat to others.  Now enter John Shore, who wrote a beautiful article about a boy who got his attention on YouTube and is in anguish over how he is treated for feeling a certain way.  And that's all it is, folks.  How one feels towards others.  Shore calls out the religious might that says their beliefs is enough reason to treat this boy like a second-class citizen.  Tea Baggers like Michele Bachmann would also see their rights as citizens downgraded so they don't have protection or recognition under law.  But when you ask why, you get the same stuttering bullshit that has been spewed from the beginning of time.

This is a direct challenge to look this boy in the eye and tell him he's sick, broken or a criminal.  He could be anyone's son, brother, cousin or best friend.  He's just a normal kid who happens to be gay.  The pain on his face is real, and so is the stupidity he has endured for his entire life.  Look at him in the eye and explain why you think he's less of a person.  I dare you.

Evangelical, fundamentalist Christians -- by which I mean, specifically, Christians who believe that being gay is a moral abomination, an appalling affront to God -- talk to me, please, about this kid.

Tell me that your belief system didn't help put the hot tears on this kid's cheeks. Tell me that the bullies who torment this kid aren't in any way encouraged or empowered by your tacit approval of their actions. Tell me that the shame this kid feels about himself has nothing to do with the shame that you believe all gay people should feel for themselves.

Tell me that you can't comprehend the connection between your conviction that God finds homosexuals repulsive and the fact that this kid finds himself so repulsive that he habitually cuts his own flesh.

Tell me, please, how you love this kid. Tell me how you understand his pain. Tell me how when he cries, you cry.

Tell me how you want to do everything in your power to make sure that no one, ever again, feels free to in any way victimize a young, gay person.

A Christian myself, I am pleading with you to be honest with me about this.

Tell me, please, how none of this kid's anguish has anything to do with you.

I'm listening. I really am.

We all are.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails