Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Glass Half Empty

For the first time in Ars Technica's history, Microsoft Internet Explorer has dropped below 50% in the combined browser market share.





Where has that market share gone? In the early days, it all went Firefox's way. These days, it's Chrome that's the main beneficiary of Internet Explorer's decline, and October was no exception. Chrome is up 1.42 points to 17.62 percent of the desktop browser share. Firefox is basically unchanged, up 0.03 points to 22.51 percent. Safari grew 0.41 points to 5.43. Opera has been consistently falling over the last few months, and it dropped again in October, down 0.11 points to 1.56 percent.

I'm still a Firefox man myself, but I know Bon is having a lot of good results with Chrome.  I never use IE unless I have to for compatibility reasons however and I know of a whole lot of folks who feel the same.

Chrome is getting steadily better, but given the anger over Google's recent changes to Google Reader and Gmail I can say I'm not ready to commit to Chrome myself.

Still, if there's a loser in all this, it's Microsoft.  They sat on IE 6 for years and they lost.  Now they are scrambling to catch up again and stave off the bleeding to Chrome, but I don't see it happening unless IE 10 is super amazing.  Let's put it this way: IE 10 just now adds auto-correct to the browser.

Sheesh.  I would have been out of business here ages ago without that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails