Saturday, November 19, 2011

Another Challenger Appears!

The Odious Patrick McHenry continues to draw a number of challengers to my hometown NC-10 district, this time Asheville NC House Rep. Patsy Keever says she'll run in the Dem primary for a shot at challenging him next November.

Rep. Patsy Keever said Friday she’ll run for Congress after being drawn out of her state House district by Republicans in the legislature.

The Democrat and former Buncombe County commissioner said she’ll seek the nomination to challenge U.S. Rep. Patrick McHenry in the 10th District.

Keever was “doubled bunked” into the same legislative district with state Rep. Susan Fisher, another Buncombe Democrat, and doesn’t want to run against Fisher.

“I was drawn out of my district,” she said. “So rather than run against Susan, who I feel is doing a great job, I decided I would run against Patrick McHenry.”

Keever, a 63-year-old retired teacher, said her campaign would focus on creating jobs and representing the interests of women and middle class voters.

“I’m in a position to be a voice for the people and I want to do that,” she said. “They need a strong advocate.

That means there's growing interest in taking down McHenry, as earlier this week Asheville Mayor Terry Bellamy announced she was seeking the nomination as well.   That's good news, because McHenry has to go considering he's well into the pockets of the big banks, doing everything he can to block financial regulatory reform in the House.

This is definitely a race to keep an eye on.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails