Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chrome Challenge: It Just Keeps Getting Better

Check and mate.  Chrome has added remote desktop access through the browser or a Chromebook.  That wins the war, folks.  Chrome is cross-platform (meaning it doesn't matter if you're Windows, Linux, Mac or any combination of the above), it's free, and it connects to what might be the most powerful presence on the Internet, Google.  Add in the popularity of Android phones and Google integration and you have a robust solution that lets your every computer and cell phone connect and share.

The Chrome Remote Desktop beta version, which arrived Friday, is a browser-based equivalent of remote desktop software for conventional operating systems. Such software is handy for IT administrators managing employees' machines, people taking care of their relatives' computers, or individuals getting access to their own machines from afar.

"Chrome Remote Desktop BETA is the first installment on a capability allowing users to remotely access another computer through the Chrome browser or a Chromebook," the release notes said. "Chrome Remote Desktop BETA is fully cross-platform, so you can connect any two computers that have a Chrome browser, including Windows, Linux, Mac, and Chromebooks."

So finally, I can work on my mother-in-law's computer without having to fight every step of the way. I can support my clients through a free program that will work seamlessly with the Linux setup I have created for them. My phone, laptop and desktop can all connect and I can back up and move files from anywhere. If my husband is unsure of how to use a program (which happens often) I can help him from anywhere, or view his screens and walk him through.

It's in beta, but Chrome has failed to shine yet so my expectations are high.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails