Thursday, September 22, 2011

Roast Overdone?

CNN Entertainment had a debate about whether Charlie Sheen's roast went too far.  I don't know how many of our readers are old enough to remember the "classic" roasts, where comedians came and took their finest turns.  It felt different then, it was more... honorable.  That's not to say they didn't get in their digs, but it was more about the humor and less about how far they could push the limits.  It wasn't enough to dive into their personal lives, there had to be a point (a funny one, even!) and it had to be funny enough to be worth the insult.  That was not the case Monday night.

I don't think it was too much to air.  I think most of it was in poor taste, and I actually felt sorry for Sheen.  The man has had a hard year, and it's like the producers took advantage of him at a bad time.  I know he's a big guy, but when you have that much drama it's surely hard to step outside of yourself and know when to say when.  In Charlie's case... when, already.

Here is a link to the meanest jokes.  Did I object?  No.  That's what roasts have become.  But I was also not amused, nor was I at all entertained.  Sheen was a hell of a sport, because his kids were brought in, as were some other folks.  I am pretty thick-skinned, and I would have thrown a punch or two after some of those jokes. I guess I'm trying to say it was a roast, and apparently taste and standards have been replaced by shock value.  I felt no wit, no creativity or hilarity whatsoever.  At best, I just don't get it.  At worst, a tradition has been lost, and we'll never see good old Dean Martin throw a bazinga again.

Those were the days.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails