Friday, September 23, 2011

Flash From The Past

Missouri isn't known for change or even for being remotely modern.  I think that is best illustrated by a few things our local news has brought to our attention lately:

A sudden upswing in cattle rustling.  Expected in hard times, but not quite what you expect to be happening in peaceful farm towns.  Not only that, but reports of summer gardens being raided and cellars robbed of canned goods have started to pop up from tiny to larger towns.  Yet another sign that people aren't eating enough.  An Amish community I am familiar with has started leaving food out for strangers in need.  Country folks go hungry first because they don't have nearly as many resources as their city cousins.  Some of our smaller communities are truly drying up and disappearing.

Bass Pro is under investigation for discrimination, racially more than sexual.  It would appear that in a corporation that size this wouldn't be allowed, and I am waiting on more facts before I dive in.  At a glance, it seems the management made harassing statements such as "it's getting a little dark in here" and a known problem particularly with treating black employees fairly.  I noticed the Springfield office got little mention in the investigation, which makes me feel a little better about living here.

Until this, that is.  Prime Trucking has also been investigated by the EEOC for discriminating against female drivers.  This is a problem I can vouch for.  I have known several women who have worked for Prime over the years, and they have always said it is a man's world and that male drivers and coworkers were given special treatment over women.

While I'm happy we have agencies watching out for that, I'm still a bit sad that they're necessary.  I'm not black, so I do understand there is an aspect to the complaints that I will never understand.  But I'm a woman and I can tell you firsthand it stinks to work harder and better than male coworkers and never get a raise.  Or in my case, get four promotions without a raise and managers I was in charge of making more than me because they pee standing up.

It's time to stop this.  If these businesses are found guilty, I hope they are nailed to the wall.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails