Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Smoking Stupidity

Cigarettes are bad for you.  This is not a shock, even to the smokers who consume them at the risk of a long and ugly death.  But the government now requires cigarette companies to print images that "intended to elicit loathing, disgust and repulsion."


Why?  Do they think the problem is that people don't know it will kill them?  They know.  I knew when I started smoking, and I was only twelve.  I've quit for five years now, but I know both sides of the coin. Still, this is petty and demeaning, to the companies and the people who buy the legal product:





And after all the decades of warnings, the CDC reports, there is this statistic:
Every day of the year approximately 2,200 adults -- who presumably have heard about the health hazards their entire lives -- begin, for the first time, to smoke cigarettes on a daily basis.

I think that says enough.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails