Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Google Plus = Huge Potential

I've just recently joined Google+ and I'm really enjoying it so far.  There is a load of potential, but I don't know how they plan to seriously compete with Facebook in the long run.  It's still bare bones right now, but I like what I see.  Like many, I was afraid this was a recycled effort to bring back Buzz, but for once Google applied feedback and put out a fully developed launch.  The most impressive thing is how they allow you to sort friends into circles.  You can control who sees what, but most importantly you can finally filter your feed quickly by clicking on the circle.  Now best friends, coworkers, family and clubs can be sorted easily.  I only have a few friends who have been able to get in (the waiting list is long) but I love the idea of going right to the category I'm interested in.  The way it is set up is both intuitive and truly useful.

My main concerns is with privacy.  Like Facebook, Google has been plagued with privacy complaints and issues.  However, the basic setup is straightforward and easy to organize, which capitalizes on one of Google's greatest strengths while highlighting a famed Facebook weakness.  Another massive strength is the integration.  Google may not control social networking but the Gmail and YouTube users will find a handy way to share without any real effort on their part.  I have moved my website, music, writing and social activities to Google.  This is the perfect way to bring it together, and that is something Facebook doesn't offer.  The fact that my Android phone can now be an extension of my Google activity is yet another perk that Facebook can offer but not quite match as effectively.

The +1 seems to be the equivalent of the Facebook "like" but without enough activity it is difficult to tell how this will work.  You can broadcast by webcam for different circles, and show up in their feed.  I prefer this to the Skype potential, but without more friends to try it with, I can't be sure.  With the YouTube integration I can see how the ten person limit for a hangout will give way to channels and webcasts and camblogs.

I will definitely update as more becomes available.  In the meantime, are any of you on there?  If so, what do you think? I'm not saying Facebook is licked by any means, but I think they may have some real competition here.  In the long run I won't maintain two accounts, but I can't say which will win... my investment in Facebook or the complete integration Google offers.  The real test for success will be when the public floods in and gives it a test drive.

My friend Sir Mud has written a handy how-to on getting started.  It's perfect for an intro to the basic features and how you may get the most benefit out of them.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails