Thursday, May 26, 2011

You Can Trust Me... Really

While I am against regulation of the Internet, the recent comments by Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and Google's Eric Schmidt against it are self-serving and hard to trust at face value.

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and Google boss Eric Schmidt have warned governments worldwide not to over-regulate the internet.

Mr Zuckerberg said governments cannot cherry pick which aspects of the web to control and which not to.

Mr Schmidt echoed his sentiments: "Technology will move faster than governments, so don't legislate before you understand the consequences".

The problem is, these two are the heads of the two companies that violate privacy and create the need for regulation.  Regarding the recent leaks and issues citizens have had with Facebook and Google, I had wavered on my stance to fight regulations and intrusions. I'm not saying I have changed my mind, but this problem has grown to the point that something is going to have to declare what is safe.

This is a wake-up call.  The guys saying not to regulate the web have the most to gain from it... at our expense.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails