Tuesday, May 17, 2011

He'll Never Walk Alone

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Veteran entertainer Jerry Lewis said on Monday he is retiring as host of the annual Labor Day telethon on behalf of muscular dystrophy research after 45 years and will make his final appearance on the U.S. show in September.

Lewis, 85, the zany comedian and actor who starred in more than 45 films in a career spanning five decades, made the announcement in a statement posted by the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), on its website.

"As a labor of love, I've hosted the annual telethon since 1966, and I'll be making my final appearance on the show this year by performing my signature song, "You'll Never Walk Alone,'" he said in the statement.

Lewis did not say why he was retiring at this stage.

I have never known life without Jerry Lewis as the Labor Day host.  It will be fascinating to see what the charity does to replace him, and who can ever fill those shoes.  After a lifetime of service, he certainly has earned his retirement.  I hope it doesn't mean he has found further health issues.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails