Monday, April 4, 2011

Why Bon Is Always Right

Okay, maybe not always, but I was right about this:


OTTAWA (AFP) – Researchers have identified compounds in maple syrup with similar anti-inflammatory or anti-oxidant properties as blueberries, green tea and other "superfoods."

"In our laboratory research we found that several of these compounds possess anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which have been shown to fight cancer, diabetes and bacterial illnesses," said lead researcher Navindra Seeram, assistant professor of pharmacognosy at the University of Rhode Island.

Honey and syrup both have an extremely high sugar content.  I have noticed when I use them in moderation, my blood sugar levels are more consistent.  If I find myself surfing from 70 to 350 on my readings, I have always gone for those two and they have never failed.

In my book, syrup is nectar from heaven even if it isn't full of healthy compounds.  I now have science to back that statement up, however.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails