Thursday, March 10, 2011

Signs Of The Times

The Dalai Lama is retiring.  He announced it via his website.  Both events are telling of new times and how different things are now than they were even 50 years ago, when he left China as a young man.
"Since I made my intention clear I have received repeated and earnest requests both from within Tibet and outside, to continue to provide political leadership," the Dalai Lama said in his statement. "My desire to devolve authority has nothing to do with a wish to shirk responsibility. It is to benefit Tibetans in the long run.

Though retiring from political duties, he does intend to continue his role in spiritual leadership.  The man has lived his life making a point, but eventually  even the strongest of men grow old.  He acknowledged that he will "have to go sooner or later" and  "I'm also a human being. ... Retirement is also my right."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails