Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Bridge Too Far On DADT

And speaking of slimy Republican efforts to kill DADT repeal in the dark of night, not even Virginia's Republican Governor is ready to reinstate DADT for the state's National Guard.

A state lawmaker from Virginia is so upset about the Congress repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell that he wants to institute a mini-DADT banning gay men and lesbians from the Virginia National Guard.

"It's a distraction when I'm on the battlefield and have to concentrate on the enemy 600 yards away and I'm worried about this guy whose got eyes on me," the lawmaker, Delegate Bob Marshall (R), told WUSA9. "If I needed a blood transfusion and the guy next to me had committed sodomy 14 times in the last month I'd be worried."

Marshall says he's working on legislation to institute a DADT-style state law. His authority to do so, he claims, comes from the clause of the U.S. Constitution which reads, "reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia."

But Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R), who as the authority to deploy the state National Guard in a state emergency, says no way.

"Whatever the final guidelines are from the Department of the Defense, I expect the Virginia National Guard Bureau to adhere to them," McDonnell said during a WTOP radio show today.

"While I disagree with the action the Congress took based on my own experience in the military," he said, "we can't have two different systems in the military and our National Guard." 

I expect that at least some GOP states will move to reinstate DADT policies for the various National Guard outfits, but from a legal standpoint there's no way this works.  If McDonnell won't even sign the bill considering his avowed homophobia in the past then this one has nothing to stand on.

Also, why would a gay man want to have sex with this particular Virginia bigot, anyway?  It always stuns me to see idiots like this assume they are going to get sexually molested in the middle of live fire combat or something.

But that's how Republicans roll.

6 comments:

Zandar said...

There's your difference between Republicans and Obama, right there.

Asariel said...

It always stuns me to see idiots like this assume they are going to get sexually molested in the middle of live fire combat or something.

Maybe the thought of mortal danger both turns these idiots on, and also stokes the flames of their latent (and deeply closeted) homosexual tendencies.

What I'm saying is, does the thought of being in a firefight form the beginnings of Bob Marshall's gay rough trade fantasies?

Zandar said...

Probably. All the shooting and stuff.

Lowkey said...

"It's a distraction when I'm on the battlefield and have to concentrate on the enemy 600 yards away and I'm worried about this guy whose got eyes on me," the lawmaker, Delegate Bob Marshall (R), told WUSA9. "If I needed a blood transfusion and the guy next to me had committed sodomy 14 times in the last month I'd be worried."

LOL, the closest this scumbag's been to a battlefield is when he got in a slapfight at the firing range. And I'm relishing the thought that he's gotten a blood transfusion with TEH GEIGH blood in it, which is probably what he blames for those wicked, wicked thoughts he's trying so hard to barely suppress.

Zandar said...

How does that even work?

CORPORAL SMITH: We are under attack by the enemy! To your positions, men! Private Johnson, you're with me, even though I think you might be scoping out my package!

PRIVATE JOHNSON (daintily): Yes sir! *follows*

CORPORAL SMITH: Private, we are trapped in this bunker and pinned down alone by enemy fire!

PRIVATE JOHNSON: Surprise buttsecks!

CORPORAL SMITH: OH NO! A penis that is not mine! My combat effectiveness is reduced by 30 percent!

bughunter said...

Amazing how wingnuts can project their lack of sexual ethics onto everyone but themselves, but when it comes to political and fiscal ethics, they find it impossible to believe that anyone would require oversight or regulation.

Perhaps it's because they hide their sexual perversion, but wear their fiscal and political perversions on their sleeves.

Related Posts with Thumbnails