Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Much More Civilized Age

Sid Meier's Civilization V is out today, and having religiously sunk cash and time into playing the other 4 PC titles (has it really been 20 years since Civ came out?) I'm looking forward to this latest iteration.


I remember playing Civ in high school on my old Tandy 486 back in the early 90's so yeah, the series is older than some of the people I work with (yikes!). The newest version looks to be another absolute classic, streamlined and taken back to its roots as a strategy game and not Empire Tycoon Simulator Deluxe.

Gone are the squares and stacks of doom, meet single units per hex like tabletop wargames, and man I dig that. It's far more tactical and quicker, too. Don't worry, Civ veterans...there's still plenty of city management and specialization to be had, but there's far less boring logistical crap to have to mess with.

Metacritic has your list of Civ V reviews for you to peruse, but this one's already pre-loaded off Steam and ready to go once I get home.

One more unto the breach, dear friends...

2 comments:

Lowkey said...

Yup yup, got my minty fresh new copy sitting right next to me on my desk. Can't wait to split at the bell, and see how the new round of mutations make this sucker play. IMHO, Civ IV was a huge improvement on III. Let's hope they keep the trend alive.

Anonymous said...

ahh fuck. there goes any chance of my getting anything accomplished or falling asleep before 4am for the next week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails