Friday, August 6, 2010

There Are No Moderates Left In The GOP Senate

Certainly not John McCain or Olympia Snowe, who along with Georgia Republican Johnny Isakson has all come out against the "ground zero mosque".

Snowe’s concern with the proposed project lies with the families of those who were murdered by the terrorists in the 9/11 attacks at the World Trade Center. “I think there should be particular sensitivities to the families,” Snowe told me as she was getting on an elevator after the Senate voted to confirm Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court. “It is insensitive to the families.”

For McCain, his opinion on whether the Ground Zero mosque should be built, in his own words, is “obvious.” But he insisted, just as Senator Isakson had said, that he was merely voicing his personal preference, not what is acceptable according to the law: “I understand that I am a senator from Arizona, and I’m a long way from New York City. But I am entitled to my opinion. And obviously my opinion is that I’m opposed to it. I think that it’s something that would harm relations, rather than help.”
Right.  Fomenting anti-Muslim sentiments and working to remove religious freedoms from American Muslims wouldn't "harm relations, rahter than help" right?

Bush was an asshole but he kept a tight lid on this because as President he had to.  What I want to know is why is Obama silent on this?  Why isn't he out there saying that American Muslims are our citizens and deserve the same rights on religion as Christians, Jews, and whatever?

Oh right, he's not terribly big on equality.  I forget that sometimes.

1 comment:

In Ur Blog Eatin Waffles (Accept no fail imitations) said...

I see both sides in this, it's their right as citizens, but also it's citizens right to voice their opinions.

A guy who says Osama was made in the USA and that we were an accessory to 9/11 to then build within a stones throw of the worst incident in our nations history, yea I can see why that's a tad insulting. However first amendment,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

So it is their right to build what they want.

Related Posts with Thumbnails